Top foods that helps increase breast milk flow
Garlic is considered the best food to increase breast milk, as it is well-known for boosting lactation in nursing mothers.
- It has chemical compounds which help in lactation.
- Garlic consumption prevents all types of cancer.
- Toss in a few stir-fried garlic cloves in your soup.
- Add it in a vegetable of your choice.
A glass of carrot juice with breakfast or lunch will work wonders in lactation.
- Like spinach, carrots too have lactation promoting qualities.
- It contains Vitamin A which complements lactation and boosts the quality of your milk.
- You can have carrots as raw, steamed or even pureed to a soup.
3) Water and Juices:
Drinking water and juices is supposed to boost lactation. It increases the total milk volume per feed.
- It prevents you from dehydration and replaces fluid lost during lactation.
- Have a glass of water when you are thirsty or even before you begin to nurse your baby.
4) Black Sesame Seeds:
Black Sesame seeds are a rich source of calcium and believed to increase milk supply.
- Blend sesame seeds with milk, sugar and almonds.
- Use in limited quantity.
Barley not only boosts lactation, it also keeps you hydrated.
- You can boil barley and have the water through the day.
- Toss in whole barley with other vegetables with your favorite flavoring.
6) Brown Rice:
Brown rice enhances breast milk production. It has hormone stimulants which boost lactation. It also gives nursing moms the extra energy that is required at post-delivery. Also, it helps increase the appetite so as to enable the mother to eat nutritious food.
- Soak brown rice for half an hour and pressure cook it. Eat it with vegetables
7) Basil Leaves:
Basil leaves are a great source of anti-oxidants.
- Basil leaves have a calming effect which is important while lactating.
- It boosts your little one’s immunity levels.
- Add a few basil sprigs in your tea.
- Leave the sprigs for a while in hot water. Have this water first thing in the morning and experience the effect.
8) Sweet Potato:
Sweet potato is a major source of potassium. It has energy producing carbohydrate which is needed to fight the fatigue.
- It also contains Vitamin C and B-complex and a muscle relaxant mineral that is magnesium.
- Have it with a low fiber diet.
- Make it as a pudding for dessert.
Almonds are rich in Omega-3 and Vitamin E.
- Vitamin E helps heal itching caused by post pregnancy stretch marks
- Omega-3 helps lactation boosting hormones to help produce more milk.
- Have crushed almonds with milk for greater effect.
- Add almonds to your bowl of oat meal.
10) Cow Milk:
Cow milk has calcium. It promotes lactation. In fact, by consuming cow milk during lactation, you will help your child avoid developing an allergy to cow milk.
- Add at least two to three glasses of cow milk in your diet.