Effective ways to manage fever in babies at home.
Fever is one of the most common illnesses in children. The good news is that there are effective techniques to do away with the fever from home without having to take the child to the hospital.
Here are some methods to try:
1) Place a cool, damp washcloth on your child’s forehead while she rests.
2) Give your child a lukewarm tube bath or a sponge bath. As the water evaporates from her skin, it will cool her and bring her temperature down. Don’t use cold water. It can make her shiver and cause her body temperature to rise.
3) Offer your child plenty of fluids and chiled floods, such as ice pops and yogurt, to help cool the body from the inside out and keep her hydrated.
4) Use a fan. Again, you don’t want your child to be chilled. Keep the fan at a low setting and have it circulate the air around her rather than blow directly on her.
5) Remove layers of clothing so your child can lose heat more easily through her skin. Dress her in one light layer. If she’s shivering, give her a light blanket until she’s warm again.
6) Stay indoors in a cool place. Or, if you’re outside, stay in the shade.
7) Trust your gut. Even if your baby’s fever isn’t that high, but he’s not acting like himself, call your doctor. You’re the best judge of whether your little one is truly sick or not.
8) Keep him hydrated. It’s important that baby keeps taking breast milkor formula during a fever to avoid dehydration.